Friday, March 7, 2014

The owls are not what they seem

Here's the awful truth: for the past several years, I've been working start to finish digitally, and I stopped using my sketchbook very often. When I did, I was frustrated that I couldn't draw in it the way used to when I drew in it all the time. I'd still draw everyday, but it was different, and it was mostly for jobs. About a year ago I started using it again for preliminary sketches, studies, and fun. I've come to realize the power of the sketchbook is that it makes me think and process in a different way than drawing digitally does. I can see and revisit my past work and there's a different and more immediate tactile experience*. The ever present need and fear to get it right or make it perfect is gone (or at least muffled) and I can concentrate on other, more important aspects.

A few days before we moved up to KC, I finished my previous sketchbook and replaced it with a sketchbook from Walmart, which had paper with the consistency of oatmeal and fishhooks. I finally got through it last week and have been enjoying drawing on regular paper again. It's like being able to breathe again, which is to say I do not recommend the sketchbooks from Walmart.

owls

*To which you say "OF COURSE there is a different and more immediate tactile experience drawing on paper rather than digitally, Jesse." However, one of the most amazing things about drawing digitally (or at least on a Cintiq) is how natural and familiar it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment