Saturday, January 11, 2014

A tale of two pirates

pirate-boom-box-2pirate-boom-box

Recently I decided to make some new promotional materials and fondly remembered the boom box pirate (the second image) I did some time ago of which I was so proud. I opened up the file and experienced that wonderfully terrible my-insides-just-dried-up feeling you get when you see work you did some time ago. The drawing is stiff and out of proportion and dark and muddy and just not right. Belt buckles don't work like that, except on pilgrim hats, the scabbard is too long and the handle somehow comes over his coat and doesn't really read like a sword handle and the boom box nearly looks like an unfinished drawing of a boom box, but not quite. What time I didn't put into the boom box I obviously put into the background. I had been so proud of this image. I looked at the date on the file, and it's from February 2012, which seems like yesterday, but apparently was nearly two years ago.

Still, I liked the concept.

So I did it again, just now, started from scratch, and I'm very proud of it.

Here's the scary thing: what if I look back in 2016 and get that terrible feeling again?

And here's the Twilight Zone twist ending: what if I don't?

3 comments:

  1. Huh. so interesting to read about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I always like hearing about other artist’s process no matter what field they come from. I think that’s the hard part to learn, right? The technique is relatively easy to teach but how to do it day after day is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Amazing to see what all you picked out to change. I felt at first like I was looking at one of those "Can you find 263 things that are different in these two picture?" (I always sucked at those), but I didn't even NOTICE the things you talked about. They both are stellar, to me. I will say, thought that I'd much rather be friends with the 2nd pirate, with his less-sophisticated boom box…the first one's face is a little intimidating to me. Pirates don't want to be intimidating, do they? Oh…wait. Okay then, way to go. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete